Thursday, August 27, 2009

The keys to buying your first home

When my wife, Teresa, and I began to look for our first home in 2007 we knew what kind of house we both had wanted. However, I had one thing high on my list that the house needed that was not high on Teresa's list....a large basement or attic.
Well we got both in the house we purchased in Kenmore, NY, a northern suburb of Buffalo, NY. Since this was going to be our first home outside of our parents house, I knew I wanted a large enough basement or attic that would house a model train layout larger than 4' x 8'.
After doing all the work that needed to be done on "living areas" of the house such as painting, install molding on baseboards and appliances/furniture/decor, I was able to work on my
"man area's" of the house.
Not only do I have a love for model railroading, but I also have a love for baseball memorabilia and the New York Yankees. So I turned the attic, which is finished off, into my own little "Man
Room" complete with couch, TV, computer and all my baseball memorabilia. So, the train layout would have to be housed in the basement.
During the 2007 winter, I was able to finally begin constructing my new model layout. I did a lot of planning of what I wanted and where I wanted, but as you know, once you get going, one begins to change their mind constantly.
Here is an early sketch of what I wanted to do. Not much actually changed on today's layout.


Pictures of the benchwork.


No comments:

Post a Comment