Thursday, August 27, 2009

How it all began

Allow me to take a few minutes to set the scene of how I became so interested in trains and model railroading. I grew up in the small town of Horseheads, NY. Unfortunately, I do not know a lot of the history of the railroads that ran through this area back in the days of rail traffic, but I do know that there is a small Railroad Depot near the center of town, a holding yard and what looks to be some mainline tracks that run through the village.I came from a family that was interested in trains, so getting interested in trains at a very young age was the family way. My grandfather (Art Sullivan) and his brother (George Sullivan) had a love for fire trucks, steam tractors and trains. They purchased and constructed their own miniature railroad on the property that my grandparents have their business located. The track that
is here is a one-mile circle complete with a trestle bridge, crossings, tunnel, water tower, train station, sidings and storage spurs. Take a look at the Sullivan Railroad blog for more information about the miniature railroad.
Behind Sullivan's Diner also sat a "real life" size train. It consisted of a steam locomotive with tender, a baggage car and caboose.
So as you can see, growing up with this kind of influence it was hard not to be interested in trains. This blog is going to serve many purposes. It will give you updates of the Sullivan Railroad, it will give you updates on my own model train layout and it will have information and pictures of other trains and layouts that I come across in my travels. Now that I live in Buffalo, I find I have more opportunities to see trains running due to the Amtrak station, the Metro Subway line and the various yards and industrial areas in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment