Thursday, September 3, 2009

Adding an overpass and tunnel

Bridges and tunnels are always a fun to have trains go under and through. I added some height to my layout pretty easily using scrap pieces of the pink insulation foam that I have used for my base.
In this picture you can see that I will have a road going above four tracks. The two tracks on the left are the main lines and the two tracks on the right are sidings that lead to a train station. I have just recently finished the bridge that will connect the two hills. All I did was stack pieces of foam together until I was happy with the shape. The parts of the hill that you see that look like rock is the retaining wall. This is just simply plaster that I spread on the flat areas of the hills and then painted to simulate a cement/rock like retaining wall.

Before: I stacked scrap pieces of foam and crumbled newspapers to give the tunnel a more natural look.

After: I covered the tunnel with plaster cloth. I will finish this up by spreading scultamold or something similar to give it a smoother look before the final scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment